Monday, October 5, 2009

Thoughts on School

One thing I love about school is that I'm always busy, and I'm always getting stuff done. And even though it school, it's theatre, and that's what I want my life's work to be. And when I imagine my life after school, it seems the same to me. The only different thing is I will be the conductor. No one will tell me to write a play or direct a play or to read this book or that. But I will tell myself those things. It's almost like being in school these last five years has been a way for me to live the kind of life I want to live. And now, I just have to really live it. I have to get paid for it. I've been practicing my life, and now it's time to perform. That is so exciting to me. I'm excited to get paid for these things, and to keep learning, and meeting new people and collaborating with them. It is so intensely satisfying to be in a good collaboration. Abraham would say, it's co-creating at it's best! And that's what theatre is to me. I think that's why I want it to be my life. I'm directing the play Mud, by Maria Irene Fornes. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it. I wish you all could see it. I hope you're all well.

No comments:

Post a Comment